At the Kawasaki Dyeing Factory, we are making efforts to have many people know about indigo dyeing and understand the goodness of indigo dyeing through tours of the workshop and hands-on learning of indigo dyeing.
Indigo is a living thing. The amount of work per day is decided while watching the state of the indigo, so the experience learning is a reservation system. (Preferably two days in advance) Thank you for your understanding.
-Indigo dyeing procedure-
- Decide the pattern to be dyed, such as the basket, tie, and mold holder.
- Make preparations.
- Put on an apron and gloves.
- Soak the object to be dyed in wood ash water. Soak up to your gloves.
- Gently put the item to be dyed into the indigo dyeing solution
- Pull it up and expose it to the air.
- Repeat until desired color intensity is reached.
- Wash thoroughly with water.
- Finish with an iron and it’s done.